Coconut oil has been praised for its benefits towards the skin and hair. It has also been frequently used as cooking oil in the kitchen. But when it comes to the uses for coconut oil, there’s more than meets the eye.
The direct coconut oil source is “copra”, which is the dried kernel of the coconut fruit. The coconut meat inside the shell is mildly cooked in a steamer to add to its moisture content. After which, it is pressed for oil. Another method of obtaining coconut oil is by heating coconut milk. When the coconut milk comes to a boil, the coconut oil will slowly surface.
Coconut Oil: The Wonder Oil
Using coconut oil as a means of cooking or as a conditioner for the hair may seem very common, however, that is not the only way the oil can be utilized. Just like its tree, coconut oil varies in the benefits it can give to people. In fact, the number of things one can do with the oil can be surprising. Here are some of the coconut oil uses that are not as well known, but just as useful.
- Deodorant – Running out of deodorant? Coconut oil can be a good substitute. The natural moisturizers in the oil can keep underarms smooth and silky. Adding cornstarch or baking soda to the oil can help give advanced odor protection.
- Sun screen – Instead of burning the skin, the oil in coconuts can be good for sun protection. It may even be better than conventional sun block as it does not have possibly toxic chemicals and metals. Coconut oil is also rich in antioxidants, preventing the development of free radicals which can cause skin cancer.
- Toothpaste – Mixing coconut oil with baking soda can provide a natural toothpaste. If a fresh flavor is desired, add peppermint or spearmint oil to get that zesty feel.
- Lip balm – Some lip moisturizers are loaded with chemicals that will eventually cause the lips to discolor. Coconut oil is an all-natural moisturizer for the lips that will keep lips luscious and prevent them from chapping. Plus lip discoloration won’t be a problem.
- Make-up Remover – Taking make-up off after a long day can be a chore, especially if using a dark eyeliner and mascara. Adding a few drops of oil to a cotton swab can turn into an instant eye make-up remover that can cleanse away the product from the face. It also acts as a natural moisturizer, keeping skin clean and energized.
- After-shave – The oil in coconuts can give the skin increased ability to heal, making the oil a perfect after-shave for men with sensitive skin.
- Colds and Sore Throats – Coconut oil has natural antimicrobial properties that are effective in ridding the body of bacteria and viruses that cause colds and sore throat. Mixing the oil with warm lemon grass tea and honey can be a delicious and soothing remedy.
- Detoxification – Coconut oil is generally good for all organs of the body. Taking 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil seven times in a day for seven days, can effectively wash away toxins that have built up inside the body.
- Health remedies – Coconut oil research has shown amazing benefits for major body organs such as the heart, kidney, liver, pancreas, and stomach. It has been known to help control blood pressure and cholesterol levels, leading to lower incidents of heart attack and stroke.
- Anti-tick and flea – Coconut oil is beneficial not only to human beings, but to pets as well. Slathering on some oil onto the fur can help rid the pet of unwanted ticks and fleas.
Coconut oil has been recognized worldwide for its health benefits and numerous uses. Many manufacturers have noted the need for coconut oil’s availability in the market so it shouldn’t be hard to purchase a bottle. Making coconut oil at home is also possible by buying grated coconut from copra. However, it is important to note that much coconut milk will be needed to obtain sufficient amounts of coconut oil.